Thursday, October 21, 2004

Hmm. Where do I begin?

Well, to start with, I realize that having one of these things automatically characterizes you as a bit of a wanker, but I never keep a personal journal, so I'm going to do this instead. It won't be as personal perhaps, as a private journal, but I might *actually* update this thing once in a while, and it can hopefully chronical a bunch of stories that I might otherwise forget.

To set the stage: I didn't get a job in Toronto, like I wanted to, so I had to hightail it home to Baltimore, MD. I hadn't expected to be there, and honestly didn't want to be there, so of course I had made no plans for what to do. My meager supply of summer money quickly dwindled, despite the fact that I don't do anything in Baltimore, and it became readily apparent that I should, and more accurately, had to find a job in order to keep my relationship with my parents cordial. There was also the slightly powerful reason of being completely bored out of my mind each day, and needing to be gainfully employed in some capacity.

I'm a college graduate in an english major, but for some reason, have no inclination to try and teach english, or write in a professional sense. I guess you could say that I liked being in a major where I got grades to read good books... IN any case, I wasn't going to look into English careers. I have also worked in the Information Technology world quite a bit for someone my age who doesn't specialize it, and have done a variety of commercial webpage projects to pay for my sometimes expensive habits. You wouldn't have guessed that because I'm using a really basic blogger template, but that's not because I like it, but more because I'm tired and can't be bothered to make my own customized page right now. I liked technology work a bit, but outside of website design, I only really liked it because provided a nice paycheck. Long story short, after having worked in a variety of technology office jobs, I wanted to avoid that like the plague. That left box stores, as far as jobs I could get. I dropped off an app at REI, but somehow missed the hiring deadline--at least that's what I tell myself--by accident and didn't get offered anything. I'm getting tired of exposition though so here's what happened: My mother got me an interview with a prominent local construction company with the view to becoming a construction manager. I met with them, thought about the whole unknown enterprise, and accepted the offer.

Fast forward to today. I’m three days old on the job. They started me on The Basilica. Or, rather, The Basilica of the Assumption of Mary the Blessed Virgin, but that’s a god-awful mouthful, so you see why I want to abbreviate. It is a two hundred year old Catholic Cathedral, and in fact, it is the first Catholic Cathedral in the States. It’s a twenty million dollar project, which is fairly big, and they are redoing everything. I consider myself lucky to have been put on this as my first job, since they could have shunted me off onto some bland jobsite in the suburbs, and this one is so much more historically interesting…

<>I don’t want to have mammoth long posts, and besides, tomorrow is the last work day of the week, so I’ll write about my first week in great detail then. It will feature, hopefully, Randy, the bigoted and once-electrocuted asshole of a concrete sub foreman, my time spent on thin wood joists suspended two hundred and fifty feet above the sanctuary’s green marble floor and much fun with expensive and noisy power tools. Oh yes, also lots of dust, mud, rain and Maryland accents.

<>To be continued…