Sunday, January 02, 2005

I'm a loner dottie, a rebel.

I went out with some friends from high school and their girlfriends on New Years. It was fine, although I couldn't shake the fifth wheel feeling all night. We went to Outback Steakhouse, which in the suburbs seems to take the place of a real restuarant in people's minds. Since there are no real restaurants, or real places in the suburbs--all has been artificially created within the last ten years to resemble a whitewashed, drywall version of a real place in a nice part of a city somewhere, except with much wider roads to accomadate all of the gigantic cars--people have happily accepted places like The Outback Steakhouse, or The Macaroni Grill, or any one of the fifteen or so other non-fast-food restuarant chains that are ubiquitous here as a 'good' place to go on a special occaision. They charge more than normal, and they are very busy, which gives people the impression that what they supply is necesarrily in high demand, and since it is in high demand, it must, of course, be good. We went there on New Years Eve, so we had to wait, which is no surprise, but what is a surprise, is that after calling an three hours before we wanted dinner, we still had to wait for an hour and a half outside for a table. Once we had a table, the waiter plyed us with his greasy smile and we ordered course upon course of fried foods. I think by the end we had all, the five of us, eaten about half of what we'd ordered. To further enhance the dining experience, we had patrons on either side of us who were dressed in sweatpants and shirts that had things like "I heart Grumpy Men" and "Sean Jean Sweat Shirt Co." When I finally got out of that place, I felt like I had been carefully stuffed with cotton by little cotton-dwarves. The rest of the evening was more or less uneventful--train rides, fireworks, more train rides, and my bed.

also, I watched Gigli the other night, and boy are my wings tired. All I can say is: Turkeytime. what? Gobble Gobble.
truly on of the most terrible movies I've ever seen.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chas said...

Rock and Roll

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home