Saturday, January 15, 2005

we spies, we slow hands

I almost killed myself the other day. by accident, mind you. I was tasked with getting power to a capstan winch installed on the scaffolding outside. The nearest power source to this was across the building in the basement, since the electricians had killed all of the existing power and replaced it with temporary power stations. umm yeah. so I was working on this, threading an 100 ft. extension cord through the various arches of the undercroft. I had decided to use an old metal conduit rack to help string the extension cord up with, since it was already there and way off the floor. The temporary light strings were also using this rack, and as I was tugging my cord through the whole business, a connection in the temporary line came apart (they plug together with standard male/female connectors). Since it looked like a regular mail end plug, and stupidly assumed that it wasn't live, and as I reached to grab it to replace it in its proper place, the "female slot," it fell and struck the metal conduit. The conduit kinda exploded in my face, there was a big zap crash sound, and a huge hole was burned into the metal. I was kinda stunned, although I hadn't been hit with anything, but the funny part is that at the other end of the conduit, there were two junior electricians fucking around with some temp breakers, and they didn't really know what they were doing, so they were worried the whole time. Then theres this huge spark/explosion/sound thing and the one guy goes "Rossy! SHIT! I knew we shouldn't have fucked with that, you said it wasn't hot man!" "Hey, it wasn't, I'm sure, I don't know what happened" I looked down at them, and sheepishly let them know that, no, they hadn't fucked up, I had. Everything else plugged back in properly, and a few breaker switches later, the capstan winch was running again.

Went to a cool bar downtown the other night called Brewer's Art and then an ethiopean restaurant. The bar was pretty swank, and they had really good beer, called Resurrection Lager, for two bucks a pint, which was a really nice price for beer that was that good. I was in the upstairs, but they have a cool cave like bar below where all the messenger bikers apparently hang out. Will have to check it out at some point. The ethiopean was good, although I'm not sure I really like eating with my hands all that much. As well, I had to sit through about three cliche jokes about ethiopean food, things like "haha look! theres nothing on the plates." yes, that oldie but goodie. Spent all day crusing around with my parents and our older friend from the Annex in Toronto, who is in town for her great nephew's bris or something. We ended up in Hamden, antique shopping, which was fine, and I got cruised by some chainsmoking antique dealer, I think.

I spent all of friday at work hauling really old dusty trash out of the building in a trash bucket, and placing it in a dumpster. really captivating. I need a life [sigh].

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home